1. Thanks for visiting VWAmarokForum.net; the international forum for the Amarok Owners Club and all Amarok owners. We've noticed you are not logged in, perhaps take a minute to register for free, or login if you already have an account. wink

2. Advertise with the VW Amarok Forum for as little as £50 GBP ($65 USD / $82 AUD) PER YEAR. 3,000+ Registered Amarok Owners, and hundreds of thousands of monthly visitors. 22,700+ Facebook page users. View where our users originate from HERE.

Dismiss Notice
  3. Please quickly help us find out where most of our readers come from. Vote on this poll. If your location isn't listed, please add it. CLICK HERE TO VOTE.

Dismiss Notice

Register or login to remove the above ad

Repairing paint chips/light rust drivers side lower door seal

Discussion in 'Interior Customisation and Modifications' started by UK-Amarok-Owner, Apr 18, 2017.

Discuss Repairing paint chips/light rust drivers side lower door seal in the Interior Customisation and Modifications area at VWAmarokForum.net

1. UK-Amarok-Owner

UK-Amarok-Owner Member

Hi i am looking to repair the following area which is paint that has chipped off on the lower drivers side door seal due to foot contact by previous owner

Should i box the area in with masking tape and use touch up paint or is there a seal strip i could apply, either black or chrome ?

If there is a strip it would need to be very thin as this is where the door meets the seal

Any advice would be great

Door open photo showing area of chipped paint /light surface rust
    IMAG0282.jpg

Door closed photo showing area of chipped paint /light surface rust IMAG0280.jpg

2. AC Paul

AC Paul Member

Before you consider covering it with anything, you need to deal with that rust first. If you're going to do it yourself, I'd consider coarsely sanding, or lightly grinding with a dremel to get back to healthy metal (this will inevitably mean taking more paint off), then treat the area with something like KU-rust to stop it reacting, then primer and paint. You can get colour matched aerosol cans that would be ideal for that. Then perhaps cover it with a sill plate (if there is such a thing) in case it doesn't look as pretty as you might have liked.

• Like Like x 2
  3. UK-Amarok-Owner

UK-Amarok-Owner Member

Thanks for your reply Paul, nice website

This is the only area of concern i was planning to do myself however i am getting the truck under sealed this week and next week detailed so after this i will see what areas the detailer could not get out and if there is a few i will then decide if the best way forward is to get all areas sorted professional my local bodywork shop but if its just this area i will go ahead and fix it myself as you mentioned

I have a OCD problem with all used vehicles i get that i try to get them as near as new condition as possible and maintain them like that..........o_O

4. ST12

ST12 Top Contributor

United Kingdom
    A lot of the issues you have are from grit trapping between the door seals as well as the seals hardening. Once you have repaired your paint consider regular treatment of the seals with a silicone lubricant.
    All my 4 doors have problems from hardened seals

5. Russell2001

Russell2001 Well-Known Member

United Kingdom
    My Rok had a similar thing. I took all the rusty bits away, polished the area, then made my own carbon fiber silk protectors from 3D 3M carbon wrap. It's sorted the problem and looks pretty cool too.

All it cost was the 3M protector Carbonfiber wrap. If you'd like a picture, I'll stick one up

• Like Like x 2

The above are discussion posts about 'Repairing paint chips/light rust drivers side lower door seal'. You're welcome to reply to them if the thread is open.