1. Thanks for visiting VWAmarokForum.net; the international forum for the Amarok Owners Club and all Amarok owners. We've noticed you are not logged in, perhaps take a minute to register for free, or login if you already have an account. wink

2. Advertise with the VW Amarok Forum for as little as £50 GBP ($65 USD / $82 AUD) PER YEAR. 3,000+ Registered Amarok Owners, and hundreds of thousands of monthly visitors. 22,700+ Facebook page users. View where our users originate from HERE.

Dismiss Notice
  3. Please quickly help us find out where most of our readers come from. Vote on this poll. If your location isn't listed, please add it. CLICK HERE TO VOTE.

Dismiss Notice

Register or login to remove the above ad

New LED Reverse lights

Discussion in 'Electrical, Wiring and Lighting' started by sym180, Mar 3, 2013.

Discuss New LED Reverse lights in the Electrical, Wiring and Lighting area at VWAmarokForum.net

1. sym180

sym180 Active Member

United Kingdom
    Was disappointed with the lack of light when reversing especially on the off side, so I have fitted a pair of LED lights and now WOW what a difference.
    What great lights and they are a crisp white light (photos show them abit yellow)

WP_20130303_001.jpg

WP_20130303_002.jpg

WP_20130303_003.jpg

WP_20130303_004.jpg

WP_20130303_005.jpg

WP_20130303_007.jpg

• Like Like x 6
  2. orion

orion Staff Member Amarok OC Member

Now that's much better than the original nearside glow worm in a jar effect.

Only problem I'd have with them is that they might be vulnerable to being smacked if I was coming out of something deepish.

Can you still get to the mounting point for the rear recovery eye? That was one of the reasons I went for VW over the 2011 Highline with the underbumper Cobra reversing sensors.

3. sym180

sym180 Active Member

United Kingdom
    I did have a similar concern but There tucked up tight underneath only 70/75mm down, towbar hangs down alot more, And there on swivel mounting brackets so will spin round if req.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Graham

Graham Guest

Hi sym180, do you have any information on where to get the led lights, they look just the job. As you said the one light on the rear as with the one fog light for me is penny pinching and a real waste.
    Thanks

5. sym180

sym180 Active Member

United Kingdom
    Hi Graham,

Bought the lights off E-bay, lots of different sizes and styles available, These are the ones I bought -

2x 12V/24V 18W LED OffRoad Work Lamp Spot Beam Light Trailer Boat Truck Jeep 4x4

• Like Like x 1
  6. Redbaron

Redbaron Amarok OC Member

Very nice indeed, but they wont last the first trip on a gravel road here. I like the idea and will peruse the possibilities.

7. Mr Possum

Mr Possum Well-Known Member

OOOH Yeah! Now you're talking. How were they wired in?

Mr Possum.

8. david care

david care Guest

Yes be interested in how to wire up as the standard lights are hopeless

9. orion

orion Staff Member Amarok OC Member

There's a good solution on the thread linked below. I quite like the idea of the 2 x 3 LED units discreetly mounted above and to either side of the rear number plate, as they will be up and out of the way of any damage due to clearance - the wiring can run alongside the plate illumination lamps. Should be a snip to connect into the existing rear reversing lamp cabling as well.

Is it just me or are the reversing lights really dim? - Page 4

Units are available from eBay for just a few quid - search under 'Eagle Eye 2 x 3 LED' or here's a link for UK ebayers:

High Power Daytime Running Light 2 x 3 LED DRL Daylight Head Lamp Car Eagle Eye | eBay

$(KGrHqR,!r!FDk-+1EEQBQ6h6Cy9Pw~~60_35.JPG

$(KGrHqR,!r!FDk-+1EEQBQ6h6Cy9Pw~~60_35.JPG

10. Mr Possum

Mr Possum Well-Known Member

Just installed a same set of reverse lights on my Rok.....MUCH better!

11. liteuser

liteuser Amarok OC Member

So,,,,,,,,,, I have my new truck, looking to do a DIY install with 2 x 10w cree LED lights to help light up when reversing, is it a straight forward job to link the new LED units together and then splice them into the existing reverse light wire in the near side light cluster ? or is there more to it than that?

12. liteuser

liteuser Amarok OC Member

Here's my attempt with 2 x 10w Cree LED's, £35 each, I fiited them up out of the way much higher than the tow bar and spare wheel.....
    IMG_4842.JPG IMG_4844.JPG IMG_4851.JPG

Lightning McQueen would be proud of these babies,,,,,,,,,,,, ka-chow!!

• Like Like x 3
  13. Annas

Annas Member

South Africa
    These reverselights in the picture seems doing a much beter job

4080-39940b061876b7b57726671726d7234e.jpg

14. AjayT5

AjayT5 Amarok OC Member Top Contributor

United Kingdom
    I've just bolted some to the canopy roof rails.
    Lights up the rear quarters and road behind so get a full light coverage of everything

IMG_2596.JPG IMG_2597.JPG IMG_2624.JPG

15. Xs4x4.parts

Xs4x4.parts Forum Sponsor Top Contributor

United Kingdom
    I have a great pair of reverse light that are fully road legal and can be flush mounted into the tail gate or bumper. will easily run off the reverse light feed.

Attached Files:

16. AjayT5

AjayT5 Amarok OC Member Top Contributor

United Kingdom
    Interesting
    Will 2 of them run off reverse feed or just 1??

17. Xs4x4.parts

Xs4x4.parts Forum Sponsor Top Contributor

United Kingdom
    Hi Ajay, Yes a pair of Compact2 or compact 4 will work off the rear light feed.

The above are discussion posts about 'New LED Reverse lights'. You're welcome to reply to them if the thread is open.