1. Thanks for visiting VWAmarokForum.net; the international forum for the Amarok Owners Club and all Amarok owners. We've noticed you are not logged in, perhaps take a minute to register for free, or login if you already have an account. wink

2. Advertise with the VW Amarok Forum for as little as £50 GBP ($65 USD / $82 AUD) PER YEAR. 3,000+ Registered Amarok Owners, and hundreds of thousands of monthly visitors. 22,700+ Facebook page users. View where our users originate from HERE.

Dismiss Notice
  3. Please quickly help us find out where most of our readers come from. Vote on this poll. If your location isn't listed, please add it. CLICK HERE TO VOTE.

Dismiss Notice

Register or login to remove the above ad

Load sweet spot for V6 w/ comfort suspension

Discussion in 'Amarok Lift Kits and Suspension' started by Georg, Jul 19, 2017.

Discuss Load sweet spot for V6 w/ comfort suspension in the Amarok Lift Kits and Suspension area at VWAmarokForum.net

1. Georg

Georg Top Contributor

Greece
    What is the load sweet spot w/ respect to handling? My guess is there is an ideal loading that makes the car behave at its best. I mean like 2 adults up front and 200kg in the tub.

2. Dan

Dan Forum Teaboy Staff Member Amarok OC Member Top Contributor

United Kingdom
    I'd say double or even triple that in the load area. They're notoriously bouncy when empty.

3. Georg

Georg Top Contributor

Greece
    I've only had mine for 2 weeks, but have felt no bounciness (I have the comfort leaf springs though, which probably makes at least some difference). Dan, is that your (gu)estimate, or something that has been released from VW? I have searched but have found no such official information.

4. Dan

United Kingdom
    They wouldn't release official info on what weight is best to ride around in because they're meant to be comfy without. Plus after the diesel scandal they wouldn't want to test them with no weight and then tell you to carry more (which will burn more fuel).

It'll be a case of working it out yourself

If it's comfy as it is, why search for an improvement?

5. Georg

Georg Top Contributor

Greece
    I am not searching f/ an improvement in the ride. I am trying to figure out if I can lift just the front with coils springs.

The thing is, the rake is there for a reason, but if the sweet spot safety(i.e. handling/braking)-wise is with 600kg in the tub, as you are saying, the ideal rake is not that of the unloaded car, but rather nearer a car lifted only in the front. Lifting the front by 25-30mm reduces the rake to about half of stock.

So, if I lift only the front I will be getting a car closer to the ideal VW has designed in it (considering I will only load the car with the family's luggage and the kids' bikes - and the occasional boat-tow that will place vertically only 150kg on the ball). In fact, if that is the case, for driver's like me (no loads) it might be better to avoid 4-corner lifts. Then, of course, one starts having certification (TÜV, MoT etc.) issues...

6. Dan

United Kingdom
    Ahhhh I get you now!

Level if off if that's what you want with some springs but keep the shocks. It'll still roll forward with the same pressure under heavy braking then. I assume.

Anybody else got input on this?

I went for a full pedders kit on mine. Replace the lot. Rode better but was noisy. (Squeaky).

7. amarokforme

amarokforme New Member

New Zealand
    240kg brings it to about as level as you want it. Try these guys who specialize in leveling Amaroks, to remove the raked look. i had their kit fitted in both my rok's and it's amazing the difference, and a top quality product www.susd.co.nz

8. Georg

Georg Top Contributor

Greece
    Well, I'm trying to do it the other way round. I am not looking for the tub load that will make it level (I am not even looking at making it level as a main target). I am looking for the loading that will make it behave at its best. Then check the rake with that loading and possibly find alternative ways to achieve that rake that will maintain the handling advantage.

I know about susd. Lowering anything is just plain out of the question. Clearance is practically ridiculous as it is. Raising the front only or the front more than the rear is under consideration.

I just do not want to ruin the result of factory testing that I am certain is behind the rake, past what is there to allow loading the tub (or, to be precise, loading the tub beyond normal family use and boat towing).

The above are discussion posts about 'Load sweet spot for V6 w/ comfort suspension'. You're welcome to reply to them if the thread is open.