1. Thanks for visiting VWAmarokForum.net; the international forum for the Amarok Owners Club and all Amarok owners. We've noticed you are not logged in, perhaps take a minute to register for free, or login if you already have an account. wink

2. Advertise with the VW Amarok Forum for as little as £50 GBP ($65 USD / $82 AUD) PER YEAR. 3,000+ Registered Amarok Owners, and hundreds of thousands of monthly visitors. 22,700+ Facebook page users. View where our users originate from HERE.

3. Please quickly help us find out where most of our readers come from. Vote on this poll. If your location isn't listed, please add it. CLICK HERE TO VOTE.

Dismiss Notice

Register or login to remove the above ad

Done any off-roading lately? - Show us your pics!

Discussion in 'VW Amarok Off Road' started by Dan, Jul 11, 2017.

Discuss Done any off-roading lately? - Show us your pics! in the VW Amarok Off Road area at VWAmarokForum.net

1. Dan

Dan Forum Teaboy Staff Member Amarok OC Member Top Contributor

United Kingdom
  2. Tjilpi

Tjilpi Member

Rather than pictures I have posted a link to a video.

I was one of 5 vehicle, 2 Mitsubishi, 2 Mazda and my Amarok. We crossed the simpson desert via the Geographical Centre.
    A great trip. The Rok was excellent.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  3. Boggart

Boggart Top Contributor

United Kingdom
    Tjilpi, started watching it......looks phenomenal. I spent a short number of weeks on a station out in the bush some 25 years ago, and I love the vast openness of the outback. I was more on the beaten trail, only about 140km from town which was Cue (WA).

4. Tjilpi

Tjilpi Member

The Simpson Desert is a fare way from Cue. Was supposed to be doing the Canning Stock Route this month. Three years in the planning and I am missing out because of a health problem. Maybe next year. The Canning Stock Route is in WA.

5. StanP

StanP New Member

Australia
    Hi Tjilpi,

I have a 2016 core that standard at the moment.

What suspension, wheels and tyres do you run?
    What radio/2 way system Do you use?
    What off road maps do you prefer?
    Any other mods you recommend for the trip?

Thanks Stan

6. Tjilpi

Tjilpi Member

I have fitted:
    Old Man Emu suspension.
    Kaymar rear bar with wheel and Jerry carriers
    Lone Ranger 61 ltr aux fuel tank
    80 Channel UHF radio
    Tyre Pressure Monitoring system
    Mickey Thompson tyres on standard wheels
    In dash GPS with both on-road and off-road (oziexplorer) applications. I use a range of maps including Natmap, Hema and westprint.
    I would recommend you take a sat phone with you. I do not have a winch but two of the vehicles on the trip were equipped with winches and came in handy. I also took a heap of spares for the vehicle including filters, oil, serpentine belt, coolant and hoses. I went to the spare parts at my local VW dealer and they helped me organise what I would need.
    I only got stuck once when I came over a dune and landed on a hump. It would have taken me hours with a shovel but I was winched off by another vehicle in a short time.
    Do the trip with others and plan before hand. That way you can share equipment and not put unnecessary weight in your vehicle.

7. StanP

StanP New Member

Australia

Hi Tjlipi,

Thanks for the information.
    One more question please, what suspension lift do you have?

Thanks again,
    Stan

8. Tjilpi

Tjilpi Member

40mm. I was advised not to go higher than 50mm due to risk of damaging CV joints, etc.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. StanP

StanP New Member

Australia
    Thankyou.

10. Dan

Dan Forum Teaboy Staff Member Amarok OC Member Top Contributor

United Kingdom
    I had the same advice but went 50mm.

It turned out fine and I took it to the limits for sure.

• Agree Agree x 1

The above are discussion posts about 'Done any off-roading lately? - Show us your pics!'. You're welcome to reply to them if the thread is open.