1. Thanks for visiting VWAmarokForum.net; the international forum for the Amarok Owners Club and all Amarok owners. We've noticed you are not logged in, perhaps take a minute to register for free, or login if you already have an account. wink

2. Advertise with the VW Amarok Forum for as little as £50 GBP ($65 USD / $82 AUD) PER YEAR. 3,000+ Registered Amarok Owners, and hundreds of thousands of monthly visitors. 22,700+ Facebook page users. View where our users originate from HERE.

Dismiss Notice
  3. Please quickly help us find out where most of our readers come from. Vote on this poll. If your location isn't listed, please add it. CLICK HERE TO VOTE.

Dismiss Notice

Register or login to remove the above ad

Does K&N Air filter makes a difference?

Discussion in 'Amarok Remapping and Tuning' started by jaco loxton, Sep 25, 2017.

Discuss Does K&N Air filter makes a difference? in the Amarok Remapping and Tuning area at VWAmarokForum.net

1. jaco loxton

jaco loxton New Member

South Africa
    I want to replace the air filter on my 132kw auto Amarok with a K&N filter. Is it worth the money and does it actually make a difference? Any one out there that can give me feedback?

Thank you
    Jaco

2. ST12

ST12 Top Contributor

United Kingdom
    I was considering the same.... is it worth £55??

3. gnel

gnel Top Contributor

Mexico
    If you don´t see any dusty road driving then they are ok at best. Their real world filtering specs are not very good. The only up that I see is that they are reusable. The claim of increased hp has been proved to be bs time and time again.

4. thjakits

thjakits Member

Panama
    Google "K+N myth, Nissan Forum"

It seems the graphs there are no longer loading, but the text alone will " cure" the aftermarket filter hype!!

K&N are marketing experts - just reading their stuff - you will convince yourself!!

Another GREAT site to check into all kinds of car-tuning-muth-hype-real stuff is:
    AutoSpeed - Technology, Efficiency, Performance

Basically:
    - Your car HAS to produce the claimed power (hp) - it will do so with the factory (mostly paper)filter....
    - At most times - 99% - you will NOT need/use max power (you may step on it often, but remember, best power is only at one point - high rpm, just where you usually will shift)
    - autospeed has done numerous tests to find were power is lost in the intake tract: In most cases the filter itself only accounts for 1-3% of the total intake loss.
    - K&N claims up to 30% more airflow through the filter - now, calculate out how much more flow you get overall - 30% of 3% is what 1% more flow overall??
    - today you have no readily availabe tech that can filter air better than a resistance filter and still be affordable and fit into a vehicle - (means - you have to put an obstacle in front of the dirt!) - the best way to cut loses here is to try to slow down the airflow as much as possible - you do this by optimizing the aerodynamics of the filter-box and making the filter surface as big as possible - lots of pleads and lots of depth and lots of size!

[Even K&N says that their filter will " improve filtering" once it dirties up a little" - WTF?? YOu need dirt (resistance) in the filter to make it filter better?? Back to square one!

Also most diesel engine airfilters can be cleaned .... to a point - today.
    So most of the perceived improvement (power, filtering, re-usability) is mostly imaginary!

BTW - I have slighty used K&N for sale, incl. a cleaing kit - for a 2008 Suzuki DL1000 - any takers? (...came with the bike. Yes - back to factory paper!!)

cheers,

thjakits

The above are discussion posts about 'Does K&N Air filter makes a difference?'. You're welcome to reply to them if the thread is open.