1. Thanks for visiting VWAmarokForum.net; the international forum for the Amarok Owners Club and all Amarok owners. We've noticed you are not logged in, perhaps take a minute to register for free, or login if you already have an account. wink

2. Please quickly help us find out where most of our readers come from. Vote on this poll. If your location isn't listed, please add it. CLICK HERE TO VOTE.

Dismiss Notice

Register or login to remove the above ad

Didn't expect this; metal on diff plug & brake bleeder nipples seized

Discussion in 'Volkswagen Amarok Servicing' started by Tricky Dicky, Jul 14, 2017.

1. Tricky Dicky

Tricky Dicky Top Contributor

United Kingdom
    Recently asked BVR do a Major service on my 63 Highline auto. I bought it earlier this year with 92,000mls on the clock having been Company owned and serviced in house. Apart from regular services and a set of brake pads at 40k with some warrantee work at 80k little else has needed to be done. In the service which included cambelt change etc Dave recommended brake fluid change.
    This is surprise one:- When Dave came to bleed the system he found the R/O/S bleed nipple very tight and on the R/N/S solid. He applied heat to no avail and eventually the head sheared off, thankfully without breaking the seal. The Rok is pretty clean underneath and has not been off-roaded and is in factory left condition.
    This is surprise two:- When Dave checked level in the diff there were pieces of metal swarf on the magnet of the plug the type you would see from a lathe. The Rok by its age will be a Hanover build. There is no noise from the diff so it has been decided to "let sleeping dogs lie" and inspect the plug again when it goes in for the auto box service. There is no drain plug on the diff so if more shows up the cover will have to come off. My guess is the casing was not cleaned out to well in the machine shop so the magnet has done its job.

2. AjayT5

AjayT5 Amarok OC Member Top Contributor

The plugs are designed to pickup metal filings from gearing etc etc. I would say this is pretty normal?? You get the same out of a gear box.
    Are you sure there's no drain plug?? I've just changed the rear diff oil in mine.
    The bleed nipples were also corroded solid on my rear drums but heat managed to free mine up. My rok is on 100k btw

• Like Like x 2
  3. Tricky Dicky

Tricky Dicky Top Contributor

United Kingdom
    Must admit I was surprised but def no drain on mine. There wasn't a great deal of swarf but enough to be of interest. It is comforting that VW have chosen to use magnets on all the drain plugs I suppose even the most stringant cleaning operation always has the possibility of missing something. I did notice on one VW outlet that the original brake cylinders were listed as aluminium if this is the case then dis-similar metals would be the obvious cause of seizure. As in this case I wasn't doing the work I can't confirm that. Either way until the rear shoes require replacement there's no need to replace. It was noticed that the N/S brake cable was possibly not allowing the brake shoes to release fully again a bit of freeing and observation will be the order of the day.