1. Thanks for visiting VWAmarokForum.net; the international forum for the Amarok Owners Club and all Amarok owners. We've noticed you are not logged in, perhaps take a minute to register for free, or login if you already have an account. wink

2. Advertise with the VW Amarok Forum for as little as £50 GBP ($65 USD / $82 AUD) PER YEAR. 3,000+ Registered Amarok Owners, and hundreds of thousands of monthly visitors. 22,700+ Facebook page users. View where our users originate from HERE.

Dismiss Notice
  3. Please quickly help us find out where most of our readers come from. Vote on this poll. If your location isn't listed, please add it. CLICK HERE TO VOTE.

Dismiss Notice

Register or login to remove the above ad

Catastrophic engine failure due to serpentine belt failure

Discussion in 'AusAmarok' started by Daniel Bell, Jan 19, 2016.

Discuss Catastrophic engine failure due to serpentine belt failure in the AusAmarok area at VWAmarokForum.net

1. Daniel Bell

Daniel Bell New Member

I have a 2012 Ultimate Amarok, last Thursday afternoon my partner was entering our driveway when she felt the power steering fail and the engine stalled. Upon me assessing the problem i realised that the serpentine belt had disintegrated and became a birds nest under the bonnet, no problem i thought and i set off in the work truck to purchase a new genuine belt (2 hours drive away). The following morning i removed the remnants of the old belt (strands everywhere, 30min job) and fitted the new genuine belt (5 min job). The rok wouldn't start!! I phoned the closest vw service dept to speak to mechanic to confirm if there was a reset or a trick to starting the car after explaing what had happened and he seemed a little vague and suggested i phoned vw assist.

Again i explained what had happened and i had a contract mechanic/tow truck phone me back within half hour. I then explained to him what had happened and he said he'd send a tow truck to which i replied that i didn't require a tow truck just a mechanic to get it started. He then confessed that he believed that the timing would be out, and that was the case with several other of his experiences with amarok serpentine belt failure. I was more than shocked at his theory as it was the most ridiculous thing i had heard and thought that he just didn't want to work on the car in the rain.

I reluctantly followed his advice and had the car towed an hour away to the closest vw dealership, where i received a call yesterday by the mechanic and he explained that the engine had suffered a catastrophic failure due to strands of the drive belt entering behind the timing belt cover and knocking out the timing. At best $5000 repair, at worst $10,000 engine replacement......WTF!!!

I'm still trying to get my head around how a simple drive belt failure can cause so much damage to a 70 grand vehicle.

Does any one have any experience with how to deal with this situation or who to approach as i feel that this is a serious design fault of the manufacturer regardless of warranties etc (mine is out of warranty) and should not be a cost to the innocent consumer. After scanning the internet this is a common problem and i can't understand why there was not a recall, as I'm now aware that they have an improved timing belt cover to overcome this problem

2. dondabro

dondabro Well-Known Member

How many km on the clock should i start worrying about changing both?

3. dondabro

So a brand new truck needs it, now is not a valid answer.
    50k, 80k?

4. dondabro

Plus that is a virus link.

5. jwkent

jwkent New Member

I had a similar indecent last year this time I'm from South Africa i had a complete engine replacement my Rok is 2011 had 75000km on. They said timing belt snapped causing the pistons to bend. VW refused to replace it at there, cost luckily i had an extended warranty.

6. wisecrack

wisecrack Member

@jwkent Hi was that due to the serpentine belt shredding and entering the timing belt area or did the timing belt snap on it's own?

7. BVR Automotive

BVR Automotive Staff Member Forum Sponsor Amarok OC Member

United Kingdom
    Removed link - steer clear of ********* in general, loads of viruses reported there!

8. John Rhodes

John Rhodes New Member

I had exactly the same happen to my 2012 Amorok at 102000 Klms new motor at $14000 VW care didn't want to know me it seems to me there are enough of these cases in Australia to mount some sought of class action where there is strength in numbers to get some compensation through the small claims tribunal . John Rhodes ph 0407231168

• Like Like x 2
  9. Dan muzza

Dan muzza New Member

Australia
    I believe this has happened on my 2011 Amarok, has anyone had any luck getting Volkswagen to cover the cost for repairs due to their poor design?
    My rok is out of warranty but I extended it through a 3rd party. Not sure if they will pay for repairs either.
    Cheers!

10. BJH

BJH Member

Australia
    I'm in the process of getting ready to take VW to NCAT end of Nov of the same problem in my 2011 amarok trying to find anyone else who has done this??

11. BJH

BJH Member

Australia
    About to go to NCAT, hopefully goes my way

12. Dan muzza

Dan muzza New Member

Australia
    Good luck! I'm yet to commence any repairs, awaiting a goodwill application to vw.
    Not expecting good news so please keep me posted on how you go!

13. BJH

BJH Member

Australia
    I did that they offered 30% of parts only I said no I then went to fair trade which there was no response from VW and know NCAT on the 25th Nov. so hope u get a better response but I think there just flipping us off.

14. BJH

BJH Member

Australia
    Hi Daniel I had this issue and was told it'll be $10,000 plus. Just last week I got it fixed they supplied the parts I paid labour if $1600 they only way they came to the party was going through NCAT I put the application in on a Monday VW Australia contact me on the Wednesday. The damage happened in July I contact VW myself the most they would offer was 30% parts then contacted fair trade and VW didn't even respond. So pay the $260 and go direct to NCAT. Best of luck

15. Lyn

Lyn New Member

This has just happened to my son. VW will only pay 30% of parts but then charge an extra $1600.00 for labour. Has anyone had VW pay for the total repair?

16. Lyn

Lyn New Member

Hi. can you please let me know what NCAT is? We are in Western Australia, do you know what the equivelent would be here?

17. BJH

BJH Member

Australia
    National civil administration tribunal. It's national so should be Australia wide. Google it you can apply on line. It costs $268. To put in the application but I heard back in 2 days from VW and they supplied all the parts and I paid $1600 labour only. If I dropped the case with NCAT. So well worth it

18. BJH

BJH Member

Australia
    I do think there should have been a recall that was my main argument that they fixed the issue in the 2013 model and neglected to recall the earlier models. There an embarrassment to the car industry and I'll never own another VW because of the way they handled this issue I have even told the dealership that to.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Lyn

Lyn New Member

Thanks for that. I have checked it out and the form is quite complicated. Can you give me any ideas on what needs to be said/filled out on the form.

20. BJH

BJH Member

Australia
    i might have been wrong I googled and found the WA ncat is called state administrative tribunal or SAT. Sorry
    But my application was against Volkswagen Australia. I stated the dated of the serpentine belt failure what I was told and then help offered by the dealership. I said that I've investigated the issue and have found forums and a lot of references on the internet to the issue of the timing belt cover. That I felt VW was negligent as they haven't addressed the issue and didn't do a recall even though internationally it has been recognised as a manufacturing fault. The they changed the cover in the 2013 model amarok

• Like Like x 1
  21. Pascal-141

Pascal-141 Amarok OC Member

Correct me if i'm wrong , but i have read this topic over again , and so far , nobody mentionned here how long (or howmany km or miles) the serpentine belt was on the car .
    Howmany km or miles the Amarok has done in total is of no importance concerning the failure of the belt , but what is of importance is howmany km or miles the belt had done since it was last changed.

i change the belt every 40.000km , and i think thats long enough .

22. Pascal-141

Pascal-141 Amarok OC Member

Yes , i have a 2011 model , and no , it does not have the updated timing belt cover . I know all about that , i did my research about that .
    But , my Amarok did up to now 217.000km without any fault . But , i must add that i'm a petrol head , my (many) cars are my hobby , and i do the maintance myself . Not a week goes by without having checked all fluids and the belt . So i know perfectly the condition. And in our driving conditions (Europe) , the belt will not destroy itself in 1-2-3 . In countries with more difficult driving conditions , i could imagine small rocks or so could cause the belt to snap .

I also adjusted the engine protection plate : in stead of the 4 "tubes" where rocks can pass thrue , mine is closed with a 3mm metal plate . This to protect the engine and especially the belt from mud and rocks .
    I think that is something that VW should have done from factory , on all Amaroks , as it is an all terrain vehicle .

I guess my situation as an (addicted) mechanic is a little different than the "normal" user , that just drives the car and just takes the car to the dealer every 40.000km ...

i hope you get your engine fixed by VW , without extra costs .

Last edited: Nov 10, 2016
  23. Lyn

Lyn New Member

That's ok, I just want to thank you for all your help. VW came back to my son and said they would pay 50% of the parts cost and that was the final offer. So it went from 30% to 50% in a day. He didn't accept that as the problem is not 50% of his fault. We will try the State Admin Tribnal next. Thanks, Lyn

• Like Like x 1
  24. openeyes

openeyes Member

Australia
    Hi All,

Just had my late 2011 Amarok serpentine belt fall apart yesterday. Immediately pulled over to the side of the road. Popped the bonnet to see no serpentine belt - well just threads remaining.
    Ok I think - get it towed to a friends house (luckily he lived close by in a country town).

Next morning get a new serpentine belt. Remove all the threads of the old belt from the various pully's. Confirm that everything is turning as expected, check for damage to the timing belt covers (see I had spent the previous night reading up about this issue) - no visible damage so I thought lucky me.
    So then I try to start the truck. Nope it would not start. On the internet again - could there be a fuel pump/line issue? Finally track down a mobile mechanic in this small town (Mittagong) and he comes over.
    He also inspects for damage - he also sees no obvious damage. Tries to start the car several times - nope wont start.

Then he says - I have a bad feeling about the way it sounds - pulls off the timing belt cover - there it is snapped - rest of the belt looks very strong - still flexible - not worn. hmmm - looks further and there are the threads of the serpentine belt - I could have said a lot at that point but really very disappointing about this outcome.

I had but two months previously taken it to a VW dealer to have the vehicle checked over as I had bought it from a non VW car dealer. I wanted a second opinion. I specifically asked if there was anything that needed doing now. They recommended a new fuel filter in 5000k and there was a recall for a foam padding between the fuel tank and chassis. But nothing that required immediate attention.

So here we have a major problem.

I would be happy to hear from anyone who has experienced this issue. I will be contacting my solicitor on Monday. I will not be taking my vehicle to a dealer until I have pursued the necessary avenues to have this matter resolved reasonably.

A class action may be in the pipes if I find enough parties to come together. Please let me know.

Regards
    openeyes

25. openeyes

openeyes Member

Australia
    PS - I apologise for writing up such as post as a newbie - nothing I can do about it - although you can be sure I will be lerking around here now for as long as I have my Rok - which I still love - just want a working engine.

Regards
    openeyes

26. BJH

BJH Member

Australia
    Hi I went thru this 6 months ago after 4 months of getting no where with the dealership and fair trading. I put an application on line to ncat 3 days later I got a call and email from Volkswagen Australia that they will provide the parts if I pay $1600 labour which I agreed to just so I could move on. Once fixed I asked them if the changed the timing belt cover so it won't happen again they said no. I asked why not. They didn't respond so I said it's still a piece of shit so I drove it to the dealership 200m down the road and sold it. I never dealt with such a dodgey bunch of assholes in all my life. Good luck your going to need it. Ps I loved my rok to but I couldn't handle the BS anymore.

• Like Like x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
  27. openeyes

openeyes Member

Australia
    Hi BJH,

I understand your feelings - I am certainly not looking forward to dealing with VW.

I am however very grateful for all the efforts of people who have preceded me such as yourself and that have taken the time to write up the details.

I will try to follow up with how I precede and what is the outcome of the actions.

Regards
    openeyes

28. Michael harrison

Michael harrison Member

Australia
    Hello Lynn or any other members that can help me.
    I live in WA and my Amarok has had a engine failure due to the serpentine belt destroying the timing belt. Reading the above posts I understand people have had a positive outcome from dealing directly with NCAT. In WA it is SAT, state administration tribunal. I spoke to them today but the lady suggested that they do not deal with motor vehicle matters.

Can any one verify this and if so is there another state government dept that can help. Any advice woul be greatly appreciated.

Michael Harrison

29. openeyes

openeyes Member

Australia
    Hi Michael,

Sad to hear it has happened to you as well. I had the same thing happen just three weeks ago. I have had the diagnostic test done by a dealer and just starting the process of a good will request. Once this fails which I assume it will since VW seem to take this approach. Then I will lodge a case via NCAT. Fortunately for me I am in NSW.

I find it hard to believe that if SAT don't take these requests then there must be another department that handles the request.

Please stay in touch on your progress. One last thing - forgot to ask what year model is you vehicle. Mine is a late 2011 (Nov). Part was changed in mid 2012.

Regards
    Ross Cuthbertson

30. Michael harrison

Michael harrison Member

Australia
    Hello Ross
    I am awaiting reply on my goodwill application as well. I believe my Amarok is also a late 2011 model with 111 000km on the clock. The same thing happend to my fathers cousins Amarok approx 2 months ago. My father and my first cousin both also have early Amaroks so have run out and purchased the new timing belt with lower pulley cover kit to stop this from happening to them.

My quote was for $7600 top end replacement. I live in Kalbarri a small town one hour and a half from the VW dealer. I was never told the timing belt is due to be changed at 105 000 now not 120 000 like my schedule states.

I've just done a little research on WA's SAT, state administration tribunal and it says they do deal with the motor vehicle act 2003. So maybe i was given the wrong advise. Like you I'm not confident of VW doing the right thing. There is a known fault that we as owners should have been notified of. The vehicle i bought is not fit to do what they sold it to me to do, they are negligent.

I will post and update to the forum what transpires. Thanks for replying Ross. Hopefully you have a positive outcome.

Regards
    Michael Harrison

31. SST

SST Member

Oh no this has just happened to me!! 2011 amarok that I have not had any issues with at all. I have just left my mechanic garage where he advised me to go online (as he did to see if there was any reports of this happening) and am gob smacked to read the amount of people this has happened to. I am on the Sunshine Coast and am interested to know where to start with this process?
    Do I go to local dealership, VW Australia or strait to NCAT?
    Any help would be greatly appreciated..

32. openeyes

openeyes Member

Australia
    Hi SST,

Not a nice thing to happen.

A couple of things to know. NCAT is the NSW tribunal. You need the Queensland version of which I am sure there is one. But first you should put in the goodwill application to VW. Do that asap to get things moving. Call VW customer support and they can explain the process. Most people have said they will not pay up via this but it is part of setting up for the tribunal.

Stay in touch and let us know how you go. We may make use of our collective knowledge for a good outcome.

Regards
    Ross Cuthbertson

33. IFISH1208

IFISH1208 New Member

hi guys I just had same thing happen to me. My 2011 with 120k belt broke going through the timing belt cover and destroying the engine. I just got a quote from the mechanic at 9k for a second hand engine so will get it towed a VW and start the fight. I would like to talk to others that are going through this issue too to see how I can fight VW and with fairtrading or NCAT. I am based in Sydney

34. openeyes

openeyes Member

Australia
    Hi IFISH1208,

Now there are four of us in as many weeks. I suggest we connect up to assist each other in a collective outcome. Four together should be able to make a strong case.

I can be contacted on [email protected]

Ifish there is quite a bit of information here in this conversation. However I think we might be best to approach this collectively. At the very least we should let's the others know what has been the response from VW and what they did.

Please do contact me.

Regards
    Ross Cuthbertson

35. Michael harrison

Michael harrison Member

Australia
    Hello All

I am still waiting for a response from VW in regards to my goodwill application. I think its fair to say we all know what the decision will be. Apparently they have changed some format so the dealers mecanic had to re submit it? In WA im reasonable sure i will have to take to the Magistrates Court. They deal with civil matters to do with consumers protection act. Will keep all posted.

Michael Harrison

36. openeyes

openeyes Member

Australia
    Hi Michael,

Please do contact my on my email listed above. I am serious about taking a collective action (legal if required) to get this resolved.

Regards
    Ross Cuthbertson

• Funny Funny x 1
  37. SST

SST Member

I'm off to dealership today to get their diagnosis and find out how to deal with them. I will go through the process of the goodwill application, however will go and lodge claim with relevant QLD fairtrading ASAP. Dose anyone know who to contact in QLD? If anyone out there has taken them on and won I would like to chat and find the best strategy to go with. The service manager I felt with did not sound surprised and am hopefull he has seen this happen already.
    Cheers

38. openeyes

openeyes Member

Australia
    Hi SST,

QCAT is the equivilant to NCAT as I understand. Claims can be made up to $25000 through them.

Would like to connect with you - contact me on my email listed above.

Regards
    Ross Cuthbertson

39. Michael harrison

Michael harrison Member

Australia
    Hello
    Just recieved my answer in regards to the goodwill application. Surprise surprise they offered me 30% of parts. I spoke to someone in vw who had no clue what I was talking about to inform him of my dissatisfaction and to get an email address to send some paperwork through. Magistrates court is the next step.
    Michael

40. SST

SST Member

Have just received my goodwill application from VW and they say won't be covering any cost! They say there is maitanence concerns as not serviced at dealership. Has anyone had similar issues as I'm not sure they can say because I used a licensed mechanic not their dealer!
    Cheers

41. Michael harrison

Michael harrison Member

Australia
    Hello SST
    I had my amarok serviced at my local mechanic approx 70% of the time. They offered me 30% of the cost of parts. There doesn't seem to be any consistency with there goodwill appraisal process.
    Michael

42. SST

SST Member

What steps did you take after their offer? What did you end up getting?
    I'm starting to wonder if i can do much

43. Michael harrison

Michael harrison Member

Australia
    I refused the 30% and the next step is to fill out the paperwork for the magistrates court here in WA pay the money and lodge and see what happens. Don't leave it at that.

• Like Like x 1
  44. SST

SST Member

I am filing my complaint with QCAT today so will see what happens. In short I was about to give up and replace engine at my cost, however when talking to several company's today they advised that this is a very common problem that is well known to them.
    If I have no sucess at QCAT I will join every forum, Facebook group and use all social media options available to me so that everyone knows what VW are not doing about this issue!!

45. Peta

Peta New Member

Australia
    Hi all, sad to say that I'm happy to find you all. You have provided us with some relief knowing that we are not alone.

We have a 2011 Amarok and it has now happened twice. The first time last year in July. We had it towed to the closest European car specialist, spent $4200 on full recondition of pistons, rockers and head. Two days ago we broke down in the middle of a forest on our way to a holiday in Tathra. The engine made a noise and then shut down, no warning lights, no nothing. Fortunately we moved safely to the side of the road. It would not restart. We have since been towed to a mechanic who has told us the entire engine has shutdown and needs ANOTHER full reco or a new engine. We are stuck, 4 hours from home with no vehicle.

Thank you for all of your information. Has anyone had any further luck with winning against VW?
    We simply cannot afford to keep spending money on this vehicle. Like many of you, we LOVE our Amarok, but it is simply unreliable and bloody dangerous.

A design fault causing catastrophic engine failure CANNOT be ignore by VW.

We will be approaching VW today with no hesitation of taking this to VCAT. Its bullshit.

Has a class action been started?

Please share your updates with us?

46. Peta

Peta New Member

Australia
    Hi Ross,

Love to know any updates if you have any? Is there enough of us for collective legal action?

Thanks,
    Peta

47. BJH

BJH Member

Australia
    I had success going to tribunal a year ago. I suggest get it fixed and sell. The problem is the cover has a gap that they won't change.

• Informative Informative x 1
  48. Dan

Dan Forum Teaboy Staff Member Amarok OC Member Top Contributor

United Kingdom
    How long did you have yours? And did you get another?

49. BJH

BJH Member

Australia
    I bought it new 2011 model blew up about a year ago and no will never own another vw as they don't have any after sale service. Had bad service from day 2

50. Dan

Dan Forum Teaboy Staff Member Amarok OC Member Top Contributor

United Kingdom
    Was it a German 2011 or Argentinian?

It's a real shame if VW lose a VW-lover over shitty service and 'policy' (bullshit?) from a dealer.

If you ever want another, and the pound gets strong again, I'll send you one over. Our after sales rocks.

51. Bunyanuts

Bunyanuts Top Contributor

Australia
    Hi Ross,

Add us as the fifth. This happened to our VW Amarok just on Friday. It is a 2012 model and has done just over 100,000km. Very disappointed and angry that VW would build a vehicle with such a devastating outcome from a simple fan belt issue. I'm sure we all don't have a spare $9K lying around to fix. Our email is [email protected] if anyone would like to keep in touch about this. We're gathering information this weekend and will go to our local dealer (in Brisbane), but by the sound of it we won't get anywhere.

52. Bunyanuts

Australia
    Hi Ross,

Add us as the fifth. This happened to our VW Amarok just on Friday. It is a 2012 model and has done just over 100,000km. Very disappointed and angry that VW would build a vehicle with such a devastating outcome from a simple fan belt issue. I'm sure we all don't have a spare $9K lying around to fix. Our email is [email protected] if anyone would like to keep in touch about this. We're gathering information this weekend and will go to our local dealer (in Brisbane)
    , but by the sound of it we won't get anywhere.

We initially had our Amarok serviced at the dealership, but then moved to a mechanic. VW were charging a small fortune for their servicing. I'm wondering if this will affect our upcoming 'battle' with VW?

53. vitez. Andrew

vitez. Andrew Top Contributor

Australia
    I have started a Gov. investigation in this matter and ask everyone who has had this issue to fill in the form (link provided).

Call this number now on 0262746274 (business hours) and get others to call and talk to Gavin at Department of Infrastructure and Regional Development (vehicle safety and non compliance manufacture investigators) . They are not aware of this issue unless more of you tell them more of the same sad stories. They are gov dept investigators. I am a scientist and dig deep into the rabbit holes and found them luckily trying to find the right hammer to fix the problem. Here is the link below to the claims form as well to create another safety of vehicle manufacture claim. Forward/post/ these details on and get all concerned to ring him today. This could create the possible recall event and fix the mongrels.

e-Reporting

54. vitez. Andrew

Australia
    I have started a Gov. investigation in this matter and ask everyone who has had this issue to fill in the form (link provided).

Call this number now on 0262746274 (business hours) and get others to call and talk to Gavin at Department of Infrastructure and Regional Development (vehicle safety and non compliance manufacture investigators) . They are not aware of this issue unless more of you tell them more of the same sad stories. They are gov dept investigators. I am a scientist and dig deep into the rabbit holes and found them luckily trying to find the right hammer to fix the problem. Here is the link below to the claims form as well to create another safety of vehicle manufacture claim. Forward/post/ these details on and get all concerned to ring him today. This could create the possible recall event and fix the mongrels.

e-Reporting

55. vitez. Andrew

Australia
    Since my last post I have contacted an Australian law firm who specialises in class action, rogue corporate, non compliance and safety issues. VW contacted me while I was riding my motorcycle to get around ( as I don't have a car anymore) and by the time I stopped, I missed the call. I rang the said number and got some emissions garb about a class action, I rang again the next day and the same garb and then after dialing 1 for a team specialist , was put through to front desk of VW Assist. I asked for the person who phoned me, who amazingly was not at his desk and since yesterday 10 am, I still have not had a return call about how they are going to a) fix my car and b) fix everybody else s car when they know this is a common issue with as I understand from this forum, 6 vehicles including my own with destroyed engines from an auxiliary belt in as little as a few months.

For information on how to lodge in Australia a non compliant recall issue notification to the correct Government Department, call me Vitez. Andrew Dezsery 0412477036.

56. Bunyanuts

Australia
    Hi Andrew,
    I'll give you a call when Darryl gets home from work. We can chat on speaker phone then. You're quite amazing doing all of this research. Talk soon.
    Gayle Rush

57. vitez. Andrew

Australia
    Hi folks in short I have had a major engine destruction from the serpantine belt breaking and transgressing the timing belt casing and destroying the timing of the engine. 20K replacement. THIS IS A KNOWN VW ISSUE THAT THEY DENY!! I have spoken to the DIRD who because of my researching have lodged a complaint as have others from this forum. HE spoke with me today that they are now pursuing this safety issue and seeking an explanation from VW as to why that have not contacted owners of this non compliant issue. They need your help to further break VWs silence. Please contact Gavin from the DIRD on 0262746274 if you have had this happen to you. He said the more that lodge complaint whether the issue is now or previous incidents that you need to ring and complain about this issue to strengthen the case against VW for non compliance recall. Please call them regardless with your story and let others know also to do this immediately!!

Gavin at Department of Infrastructure and regional development . Here is the link below to the claims form as well, Gavin will explain. Forward this email on and get all to ring him today.

https://ncsf.infrastructure.gov.au/DepartmentofInfrastructure/

Andrew

58. Bunyanuts

Australia
    I have done this Andrew and also spoken to Gavin. PLEASE everyone else who has had the same issue, please do this. It really doesn't take too long and the more support from each we have the better.

59. vitez. Andrew

Australia
    Hi Peta,

In short I have had a major engine destruction from the serpantine belt breaking and transgressing the timing belt casing also and destroying the timing of the engine. 20K replacementwas a quote. THIS IS A KNOWN VW ISSUE THAT THEY DENY!! I have spoken to the DIRD who because of my researching I have lodged a complaint as have others from this forum. HE spoke with me today that they are now pursuing this safety issue and seeking an explanation from VW as to why that have not contacted owners of this non compliant issue. They need your help PETA to further break VWs silence. Please contact Gavin from the DIRD on 0262746274 if you have had this happen to you. If you dont contact them and fill out a complaints form this will happen again and again. Just last two weeks another two victime on this forum. He said the more that lodge complaint whether the issue is now or previous incidents and complain to them about this issue will strengthen the case against VW for hopefully a non compliance recall. Please call Gavin at DIRD with your story and let others know also to do this immediately!!

Gavin at Department of Infrastructure and regional development . Here is the link below to the complaints form as well, Gavin will explain. Forward this email on and get all to ring him today please.

e-Reporting

Andrew Dezsery 0412477036

60. vitez. Andrew

Australia
    Hi Peta,

In short I have had a major engine destruction from the serpantine belt breaking and transgressing the timing belt casing also and destroying the timing of the engine. 20K replacementwas a quote. THIS IS A KNOWN VW ISSUE THAT THEY DENY!! I have spoken to the DIRD who because of my researching I have lodged a complaint as have others from this forum. HE spoke with me today that they are now pursuing this safety issue and seeking an explanation from VW as to why that have not contacted owners of this non compliant issue. They need your help PETA to further break VWs silence. Please contact Gavin from the DIRD on 0262746274 if you have had this happen to you. If you dont contact them and fill out a complaints form this will happen again and again. Just last two weeks another two victime on this forum. He said the more that lodge complaint whether the issue is now or previous incidents and complain to them about this issue will strengthen the case against VW for hopefully a non compliance recall. Please call Gavin at DIRD with your story and let others know also to do this immediately!!

Gavin at Department of Infrastructure and regional development . Here is the link below to the complaints form as well, Gavin will explain. Forward this email on and get all to ring him today please.

e-Reporting

Andrew Dezsery 0412477036

61. Bunyanuts

Australia
    Hi Peta
    We've had no luck with VW. They keep saying that 1) if we had our Amarok serviced with them, the upgraded timing belt cover would have been replaced as a part of the service. and 2) that because we didn't have the timing belt replaced at 105,000 (it was serviced at 103,000 at a licenced mechanic - NOT VW), they won't do anything. The timing belt is not the issue - it's the serpentine belt shredding and getting caught up in the engine. My mechanic checked all the belts and tensioner and said they were in perfect condition. I've found a mechanic who has stated on the website that the original service schedule stated to replace the timing belt at 120,000, not 105,000. Irrespective, this is something that VW knew about and only chose to help those people who were using their service network. They knew this was a fault and DID NOTHING. How could this not be a safety issue as well? My car just stopped mid traffic going up a hill, no power, no steering. I was lucky enough to pull off to the side of the road. What if I had been travelling 110km on a highway with a heavy vehicle behind? Our repair will be $7K, which we've had to go ahead with (and go into our mortgage to pay), as if we waited to get something out of VW our Amarok would be off the road for months. We will still be trying our hardest. So far I've made a report to the ACCC and DIRD as per Andrew's suggestion. Next will be the Office of Fair Trading. Also need to get onto a solicitor. I hope that we can all band together. VW should not be allowed to get away with this. Stay strong Peta. Happy to chat anytime: [email protected] Gayle

The above are discussion posts about 'Catastrophic engine failure due to serpentine belt failure'. You're welcome to reply to them if the thread is open.

Users found this page by searching for:

1. volkswagen amarok timing belt issues 2013