1. Thanks for visiting VWAmarokForum.net; the international forum for the Amarok Owners Club and all Amarok owners. We've noticed you are not logged in, perhaps take a minute to register for free, or login if you already have an account. wink

2. Please quickly help us find out where most of our readers come from. Vote on this poll. If your location isn't listed, please add it. CLICK HERE TO VOTE.

Dismiss Notice

Register or login to remove the above ad

Amarok Help And Advice

Discussion in 'Choosing Your VW Amarok' started by Twen, Nov 13, 2016.

1. Twen

Twen Member

hi all,

I am thinking of purchasing my very first pick up to replace my CRV and very much like the Amarok as it ticks a number of boxes.

I am keen to buy an used example here in the U.K ideally with low mileage and heated seats and have a few questions hopefully you can help me:

1. I understand that the models with "per" on them in listings are permanent 4 wheel drive which helps with the ride due to improved suspension especially in the rear of the vehicle is this correct and does is come as just an automatic ? Is there any downsides to this or a selective model ?

2. Is there any recommended models to look out for (or avoid) between 2011-2014 ?

3. Any real world first time pick up owners views would be great to get an idea of driving these

4. Is manual or automatic a better option or is it down to preference ?

5. As a private buyer can I avoid prices +vat

6. What is the real world experience perfomance/economy wise and is the 180bhp model the one to go for ? Is is nippy enough around town/motorway etc easy to park etc ?

Any advice/guidance would be great.

Thanks

Twen

2. J@mes

[email protected] Amarok OC Member Top Contributor

United Kingdom
    1. I understand that the models with "per" on them in listings are permanent 4 wheel drive which helps with the ride due to improved suspension especially in the rear of the vehicle is this correct and does is come as just an automatic ? Is there any downsides to this or a selective model ?

Not sure it's improved, just has less leafs on the rear so its not as hard

2. Is there any recommended models to look out for (or avoid) between 2011-2014 ?

You want a 2012 on - the 180bhp models with proper factory fitted equipment. Some of the early ones had bolt on bits (alarm, parking sensors) which aren't quite as good as they should have been, apparently

3. Any real world first time pick up owners views would be great to get an idea of driving these

Amarok is my first Double cab pickup. If you are expecting it to be like an SUV, you'll be disappointed. Engine is rough, ride is harsh, wind noise seems much higher than my Disco3. But it has gobs of space in the back, doesn't break down, is cheap to service and a shit load cheaper than the equivalent Disco4

4. Is manual or automatic a better option or is it down to preference ?

I have a manual and wish I had an auto. Next time!

5. As a private buyer can I avoid prices +vat

Only by buying one from someone who was also a private buyer and paid the vat on it!

6. What is the real world experience perfomance/economy wise and is the 180bhp model the one to go for ? Is is nippy enough around town/motorway etc easy to park etc ?

Nippy enough but by no means quick. I have no trouble chucking mine around and don't find it difficult to park with front and rear parking sensors...and a towbar!

• Like Like x 2
  3. Twen

Twen Member

Thanks very much for replying, do you know if the models with fitted tonneau hard covers can be easily removed if needed ?

4. Tooling marty

Tooling marty Member

The Tonneau cover are easy removed by poping the gas struts off and pull pins in cover hinge and lift off cover 5 min job !!

5. Twen

Twen Member

Thank you keeping my eye out for a good model

6. Dan

Dan Forum Teaboy Staff Member Amarok OC Member Top Contributor

United Kingdom
    There's the odd one on the forum from time to time. Not always in the for sale section.

7. Twen

Twen Member

Thanks which sections should I look ?

8. Dan

Dan Forum Teaboy Staff Member Amarok OC Member Top Contributor

United Kingdom
    https://www.vwamarokforum.net/forums/vw-amarok-for-sale.22/

The for sale section lol - It was a dig at people putting them in places such a the introductions area, and the general amarok chat area. Look in those too. But when I spot them I move them over. So report any you find in other categories and I'll shift them. :)

9. Twen

Twen Member